Nazar & Its Cures
Allāh Ta’ālā is the Creator of the entire universe. Everything is in the control of Almighty Allāh Ta’ālā. Allāh Ta’ālā has created certain positive and negative effects in His creation. For example, Allāh Ta’ālā has placed the effect of satiating hunger in food. Allāh Ta’ālā has created the effect of burning in fire. Similarly, Allāh Ta’ālā has created the effect of harming a person with the sight of some people. This is proven through the following Hadīth of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam:
Hadhrat Abū Hurairah Radhiyallāhu Anhu narrates that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam said, “The evil eye is Haqq (a reality)”. (Sunan Abī Dāwūd)
Allāh Ta’ālā is the ultimate protector. Despite the evil effect of the eye, if one seeks the protection of Allāh from the evil eye, Allāh Ta’ālā will protect him. Hence, one should be punctual in reciting Duās proven from Hadīth that guarantee the protection of Allāh Ta’ālā. Consider the following Duās:
1) Rasūllullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam said, “If a man recites the following Duā upon leaving his house, it is said to this person, “You have been guided, you have been sufficed for, and you have been protected.”
Transliteration: Bismillāhi Tawakkaltu A’lallāh Wa Lā Hawla Wa Lā Quwwata Illā Billāh
Translation: I (leave my house) in the name of Allāh. I have placed my trust in Allāh. There is no power or might except with Allāh.
2) Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam said, “Whosoever recites the following Duā three times every morning and every evening, nothing will harm him.”
Transliteration: Bismillāhilladhī Lā Ya Dhurru Ma’asmihi Shaiyun Fil-Ardhi Wa Lā Fis-Samāe Wa Huwas-Samīu’l-A’līm
Translation: In the name of Allāh, the One with whose name nothing in the heavens and earth can harm. And He is All-Hearing and All-Knowing.
3) Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam stated, “Recite Surah Ikhlās, Surah Falaq, and Surah Nās (the last three Surahs of the Qurān) three times morning and evening. This will be sufficient for you against everything. (Sunan Abī Dāwūd)
4) Ibn Abbās Radhiyallāhu Anhu states that a man complained to Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam that he is often afflicted with calamities. Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam stated to him, “Recite the following Duā (once) in the mornings. Nothing will afflict you.” The man recited these words and there were no more calamities.
Transliteration: Bismillāhi A’lā Nafsī Wa Ahlī Wa Mālī
Translation: In the name of Allāh (I seek protection) for myself, my family and my wealth.
5) One should make dua that Allah protect one from the evil eye, by such Prophetic duas as the one transmitted by Bukhari, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Ahmad, and others:
A`udhu bi kalimaatillahittaammati min kulli shaytaanin wa haamma wa min kulli `aynin laamma
I seek refuge in Allah most perfect words from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye.
The evil eye can affect cars and houses just like it can affect human beings.
However, the name of Allāh Ta’ālā is most powerful. When someone or something is afflicted with the evil eye, then the name of Allāh and verses of Qurān should be recited and blown on the one or thing afflicted. It is proven from Hadīth that Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam would recite Sūrah Ikhlās, Surah Falaq, and Sūrah Nās followed by blowing on his hands and wiping over his body. This was the daily routine of Rasūlullāh Sallallāhu Alaihi Wa Sallam prior to sleeping.
The Ulamā state that the following verses should be recited and blown on the person affected by the evil eye.
And indeed the disbelievers seem to trip you up with their glances when they hear the Reminder, and say, “He is a madman indeed.” And it is nothing else but a Reminder for all the worlds. (Surah al-Qalam, Verse No. 51-52)
This should not be confused with traditions of the Hindus. A Muslim blows only with the name of Allāh, verses of the Qurān, or a Duā proven from Hadīth. He does not recite anything else like people from another religion.
May Allah SWT Protect us from the evil of the glances of people.
By Rahil Mumtaz