1. Meat from swine – pork, ham, gammon, bacon, etc
2. Pork-based products and by-products – sausages, gelatine etc
3. Animals improperly slaughtered, or already dead before slaughtering is due to take place
4. Animals killed in the name of anyone other than Allah.
6. Most carnivorous animals, birds of prey and land animals without external ears (i.e. snakes, reptiles, worms, insects etc.)
7. Blood and blood by-products
8. Foods contaminated with any of the above products
While many things are clearly halal or clearly haram, there are some things which are not clear. These items are considered questionable or suspect and more information is needed to categorise them as halal or haram. Such items are often referred to as Mashbooh, which means doubtful or questionable. Food falling into this category should be treated as haram until you know otherwise.